All bolted deadends are rated 40% of the conductor RBS. Bolted deadends can be used in slack span applications where line tension is less than 5% of RBS.
There are a few points linemen need to keep in mind for installing bolted connectors.
- Ensure the conductor is properly seated before tightening bolts.
- Make sure to apply proper torque. Pay special attention to deadends with 3/8” size hardware. They are more prone to stripping of the ubolts.
- Do not exceed the recommended torque value to avoid stripping hardware.
- Make sure the conductor sits on the clamp groove before torque is applied.
- Ensure that the proper tension is applied (40% RBS).
- Can be used in slack span (where line tension is 5% RBS or less) with the exceptions of wedge-style dead ends.
- Conductor info and range and printed onto the deadend clamp.
- Do not reuse hardware.